Click here to skip to main content.
 
Document reference / CyfeirnodDCE
Level of description / Lefel disgrifiad Fonds
Title / Teitl Cardiff University Settlement Records
Date / Dyddiad 1912-1986
Creator(s) / Crew(y)rEdward Lewis;Mrs Lewis
Background / CefndirThe Cardiff University Settlement was established in 1901, at 50-52 Portmanoor Road, Splott, Cardiff, Glamorgan, by a group of academic staff at the University College, Cardiff, led by Professor Ronald Burrows (Professor of Greek). They were concerned that the University College should seek to improve social conditions in the poorer areas of Cardiff by active social work in the community. The objective of the University Settlement was to provide educational and recreational facilities not normally available to the poorer members of the community. The University Settlement was organised into four separate clubs: the Lads', Girls', Womens' and Mens' clubs. The combined membership of the clubs reached 250 by 1903. In 1904, the University Settlement formed itself into a limited company called University Settlement in Cardiff, and built a University Settlement Hall, in Walker Road, Splott, which included classrooms, gymnasium, recreational rooms fitted out for billiards and air rifles, opened in December 1904.

Mr Edward Lewis, Mrs Lewis and Mrs Hughes were active in the organisation. The University Settlement remained active until the outbreak of the First World War, when many of the members of the Lads' and Mens' clubs joined the armed services. Following the requisitioning of the club premises for a military hospital, the activity of the University Settlement largely ceased. After the War it proved impossible to resume the University Settlement, as many members had dispersed. The University Settlement Hall was sold in 1922, to become St Illtyd's College, a Roman Catholic school, and the University Settlement company was formally wound up in 1924.
Description / DisgrifiadRecords of the Cardiff University Settlement, 1912-1921: letters and photographs from members of the settlement, 1912, 1914-1918 and 1921; historical research, 1965-1986, including history of the University Settlement in Cardiff, by Miss B. M. Bull, 1965, and notes added by Miss Bull, 1986.
Arrangement / TrefnArranged as follows: letters addressed to Edward Lewis, Mrs Lewis and Mrs Hughes; miscellaneous material; wartime photographs of University Settlement lads; and publications and notes on the University Settlement.
Language / IaithEnglish
Extent / Maint1 box, 1 booklet
Appraisal / YstyriaethAll records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Archives have been retained.
Source of Acquisition / Ffynhonell derbynDeposited by a private individual on 19 February 1987.
Finding Aids / Cymhorthau ChwilioA hard copy of the catalogue is available at the Glamorgan Record Office.
Related MaterialOutside the collection there are several useful printed sources for the University Settlement, especially 'Ronald Burrows', a biography written by George Glasgow published by Nisbet & Co. Ltd, London, 1924, and an article describing the new Settlement hall which appeared in 'The Builder' magazine for 7 October 1905, copies of both are held in the Central Reference Library, Cardiff.

Two more general contemporary accounts of the University Settlement movement are: 'The Universities and the Social Problem: an account of the University Settlement in East London', edited by John M. Knapp, published by Rivington, London, 1895 and 'University and Social Settlements', edited by William Reason, published by Methuen, London, 1908; both pamphlets are in the reserve collection of University College Cardiff's Arts and Humanities Library.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2014