Document referenceBK
Level of description Fonds
TitleBorough of Kenfig, Records
Creator(s)Borough of Kenfig
Kenfig Corporation Property
Kenfig Corporation Trust
BackgroundThe Borough of Kenfig (Glamorgan) was founded in the early 12th century; the earliest surviving charter dates to c. 1396. The borough suffered from the encroachment of sand dunes, and was forced to move to Pyle in 1471. The borough ahd several courts. The Court Leet and View of Frankpledge was held bi-annually in May and October, with responsibility for the administration of justice in the borough and the election of officials. The Court Baron and Court of Pleas were held monthly before the portreeve. The courts fell into decay with the rise of county courts. Before the Reform Act 1832, Kenfig Borough joined the boroughs of Cardiff, Cowbridge, Llantrisant, Aberavon, Neath, Swansea and Loughor to send a member to parliament. Subsequently, the Borough formed part of the Swansea parliamentary district, and later the Aberavon district. The ancient borough virtually came to an end when its corporation was dissolved in 1886 as a result of the Municipal Corporations Act 1883. The Charity Commissioners empowered to deal with its affairs set up the Kenfig Corporation Property, formed of a committee of twelve people (including representatives from local authorities) charged with the administration of the Borough property. Under a new scheme of management issued by the Charity Commissioners in 1998 the Kenfig Corporation Property was renamed the Kenfig Corporation Trust.
DescriptionRecords of the Borough of Kenfig, [c. 1396]-1998, includes: charters and transcripts, [c. 1396]-1886; ordinances of the town, 1550-1800; survey, [1661]; minutes of the various courts, suit rolls, account books, 1742-1886; admissions of burgesses, 1774-1837; and records of Kenfig Corporation Property and Kenfig Corporation Trust, 1923-2003.
ArrangementArranged by type and date.
Extent19 volumes, 2 boxes
Physical characteristicsThe majority of the collection is in good condition with the exception of the charters BK/1-3 which are in poor condition.
AppraisalAll records have been retained.
Source of AcquisitionPart transferred from the National Library of Wales, 1964; part deposited at later dates.
Finding AidsA detailed catalogue is available
Related materialFurther papers are Glamorgan Archives, DX906 1, Minute book of Court Leet, View of Frankpledge, Court Baron and Court of Pleas, 1817-1853.
Access statusItems containing information on named individuals may be restricted in accordance with data protection legislation and GA policy.
Conditions of accessItems containing information on named individuals may be closed in accordance with data protection legislation and Record Office policy. Photocopies of the Borough of Kenfig charters will be consulted by searchers instead of the originals which are in a fragile condition. Access to BK/181 is restricted.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2023