Document referenceD1079
Level of description Fonds
TitlePhotographic Records of E Turner & Sons Limited, Builders and Contractors, Cardiff
Creator(s)E Turner & Sons Limited, Builders and Contractors, Cardiff
BackgroundIn 1885 Ephraim Turner and his two sons James Turner and WH Turner began to trade together as E Turner & Sons Limited. Ephraim Turner retired in 1896 and during 1912 the business was formed into a private limited company and became known as E Turner & Sons Limited, Cardiff. WH Turner died in January 1924 and soon after his son Harry together with TH Huxley Turner, son of James E Turner, joined the Board of Directors. The Registered Offices of the Company were situated at Penarth Road, Cardiff. The site included the Blacksmiths, Engineers, Plumbers, Electrical and Wheelwright Shops, stores for materials, and the Joinery Works with its timber seasoning kilns. The Compnay's Masonry Works were situated at Ninian Park Road. Turners was responsible for the construction of a series of notable buildings in the Cathays Park area of Cardiff including City Hall, the Law Courts, the former Glamorgan County Hall and the Technical College (later re-named the Bute Building). Other buildings in Cardiff include Cardiff Royal Infirmary, General Post Office, The Cardiff Exhange, Central Free Library and National Provincial Bank. Turners was acquired by the construction group Willmott Dixon Limited in 1991.
DescriptionPhotographs, 1890s- 1980s; Artists' impressions, 1907-1960s; The Practical Decorator and Ornamentist, Part 3, 1890s
ArrangementChronological within record series.
Extent117 photographs, 8 papers, 1 file
Physical characteristicsFair condition
AppraisalAll records which meet the collection policy of Glamorgan Archives have been retained.
Source of AcquisitionDonated by Wilmott Dixon Limited, Cathedral Road, Cardiff, May 2014
Finding AidsA detailed catalogue is available online
Related materialNot applicable
Access statusNo restrictions.
Conditions of accessNo restrictions.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022