Document referenceDCB
Level of description Fonds
TitleCory Brothers & Co. Ltd., Shipping Merchants, Records
Creator(s)Cory Brothers & Co. Ltd
BackgroundRichard Cory (1799-1882), of Devon, was the owner of a small vessel which traded between Cardiff, Bristol and Ireland in the early part of the 19th century. In 1838, he opened a ships' chandler store in Cardiff, Glamorgan. In 1844, Richard Cory was joined by his sons, John (1828-1910) and Richard (1830-1914), and traded as Richard Cory and Sons. They described themselves as ship brokers, ship owners, coal merchants and exporters. In 1859, when Richard Cory (the elder) retired, John and Richard re-named the business Cory Brothers & Co. It became a limited liability company in 1888. John and Richard Cory became coal owners in their own right with the purchase of Pentre colliery in the Rhondda, Glamorgan, in 1868. Gelli, Tynybedw and Tydraw collieries were later acquired, as were several collieries in adjoining valleys. The brothers also became the largest private wagon-owners in the United Kingdom. They opened coaling stations around the world, and by 1908 had 118 agencies and depots on all the major shipping routes. They supplied coal on a worldwide basis, most of it coming from their collieries in the Rhondda. The company operated subsidiary companies including Aden Coal Co. Ltd and Gueret, Llewellyn and Merrett Ltd. In 1942, the company was bought by the Powell Duffryn Group, but has maintained its identity as a shipping agent to the present. As their wealth increased, the brothers began to give assistance to social, educational, and moral reform causes in Cardiff, and to evangelical movements, particularly the Salvation Army. They supported the temperance movement, and established the Cory Temperance Hall which was made available for public meetings. In memory of his work for the people of Cardiff, a bronze statue of John Cory, designed by Sir William Goscombe John, was erected in the city in 1905.
DescriptionMinutes books for Cory Brothers & Co.Ltd., 1888-1905, 1910-1942; deeds and related papers, 1857-1927; and minutes books of Aden Coal Co. Ltd, 1881-1925, and Gueret, Llewellyn and Merrett Ltd, 1927-1943.
ArrangementArranged by type and date.
Extent7 volumes and 4 boxes
AppraisalAll records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Archives have been retained.
Source of AcquisitionDeposited by a private individual, 1998
Finding AidsA hard copy of the catalogue is available at the Glamorgan Record Office.
Conditions of accessNo restrictions
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2023