Document referenceDNMW
Level of description Fonds
TitleNational Museum of Wales, Collection
Date1740-1985
Creator(s)National Musuem of Wales
BackgroundThe National Museum of Wales was founded in 1907, the Royal Charter of Incorporation having been granted in that year by King Edward VII. The first contract for the building, in Cathays Park, Cardiff, Glamorgan, was let in 1911, and the Foundation Stone was laid in 1912 by King George V. During the First World War (1914-1917), building operations had to be entirely suspended and it was not until 1926, that the existing superstructure was completed. On its completion, the formal opening of the museum was made by the King on April 21st, 1927. In 1947, the Earl of Plymouth presented St Fagans Castle, together with its extensive grounds, to the National Museum of Wales. The estate became the home of the Welsh Folk Museum, now the National History Museum. The Museum accumulated a miscellaneous collection of historical documents relating to Cardiff and elsewhere.
DescriptionRecords received from the National Museum of Wales, 1740-1955, including: registers of electors for borough of Merthyr Tydfil, 1861, 1863; plan of proposed extension of Cardiff Boundaries, 1900, used to show proposed Cardiff Western Sewer, 1901; Third Glamorgan Artillery Volunteers, First Battery, Oath Book, 1860-1866; Cardiff Museum and Art Gallery, reports to the Town Council for years ending, 1896, 1897, 1898, 1899, and 1901; Cardiff Sympathetic Society minute book, 1812-1851; notice stating that anyone calling Thomas Griffiths of Landore, shoemaker, by the nickname 'Twm Pap' will be prosecuted, 1837; accounts book of Kennixton Farm, Llangennith, 1774-1786; documents pertaining to Rhondda Urban District Councils' petition for a Charter of Incorporation, 1953-1955; papers relating to Colonel H. Morrey Salmon, 1982-1985; Cardiff Fine Art and Industrial Exhibition, 1881; papers relating to the visit of T.R.H. Prince and Princess of Wales to Cardiff, 1896 ; papers relating to the visit of H.R.H. Prince of Wales, 1919 [Edward VIII]; City of Cardiff Medical Officer of Health, printed circular and notices giving advice on preventing the spread of disease by flies, 1915; and facsimile of a 15th century brass rubbing at Newland Church, Co. Gloucestershire showing the crest of the Free Miners of the Forest of Dean, [n. d.].
ArrangementInformation to be supplied.
LanguageEnglish
Extent1 box, c164 volumes
Physical characteristicsFair condition
AppraisalAll records have been retained.
Source of AcquisitionDeposited by the National Museum of Wales at various dates.
Finding AidsA handlist is available at the Glamorgan Record Office.
Access statusNo restrictions.
Conditions of accessNo restrictions.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022