Document referenceP142CW
Level of description Fonds
TitleBargoed and Deri with Brithdir Ecclesiastical Parish Records
Creator(s)Bargoed and Deri with Brithdir Ecclesiastical Parish
BackgroundBargoed and Deri with Brithdir was formed into an ecclesiastical parish from Gelligaer in 1904. The parish church was consecrated in 1876 and is dedicated to St Gwladys. Worshippers at Brithdir initially attended a small church at Capel y Brithdir. Owing to its isolated position a small wooden Mission Church was built in Station Terrace, Brithdir c1896. The decision was made to build a permanent stone church near the centre of Brithdir and this new church named St Paul's was officially opened October 1896. However due to subsidence caused by mining the building was demolished during 1927. Subsequent services were held at a local disused ambulance hall which was purchased by the church in 1934. The following year the building was dedicated as St David's Church. The building was destroyed by fire on the 17 Sep 1974. Bargoed Vicarage was built 1908 and two years later the foundation stone of the Church Hall was laid adjacent to St Gwladys' Church. Deri had a mission church by 1900 and this became a Sunday schoolroom when St Peter's Church was built.
DescriptionRegisters of Baptisms, 1897-1998; Registers of Banns of Marriages, 1904-1993; Registers of Marriages, 1904-1996; Confirmation Registers, 1920-2012; Register of Burials, 1904-1971; Registers of Services, 1896-2009; Parochial Church Council and Easter Vestry minutes, 1934-2012; Vestry Meetings, Apr 1913-Apr 1920, Accounts Books, 1880-2012; Financial Statements, 1973-2008; General Accounts, 1909-1964; Church Buildings and Property, 1891-2005; Church History, 1903-2007; Correspondence, 1900-2003; Electoral Roll, 1920s-1991; Church Meetings, 1968-2012; Members of Parochial Church Council, 1922-1942; Register of Communicants, 1940s; 'The Interdiocesan Boundary In The Rhymney Valley', c1966-1972; Articles of Enquiry, 1984-1996; St Gwladys' Church Hall, Mother and Toddler Group, 1989-1991; Annual Reports to the Parochial Church Council, 1993-1996; Flower List, 1971-1994; Architect's Drawings, 1980-1997; Photographs, 1900s-2002. St Peter's Church, Deri: Register of Baptism, 1905-1978; Register of Banns of Marriage, 1949-1988; Registers of Marriages, 1949-2003; Registers of Services, 1966-2002; Sunday School Attendance Register, 1938-1942; Minutes Books, 1930-1945; Church Accounts, 1945-1962; Inventory Book, 1990s; Miners' Support Group Scroll, 1985; Deri Mission Church: Account Book, 1880-1890; Church Service Book, 1901-1907. St David, Brithdir: Church Accounts, 1934-1985; Minutes Book, 1936-1980; Registers of Services; 1973-2001; Weekly Offering Record, 1975-1999
ArrangementChronological within record series.
Extent102 volumes, 55 files, 37 papers, 9 bundles, 9 photographs, 9 drawings, 1 postcard, 1 booklet
Physical characteristicsGood condition
AppraisalAll records which meet the collection policy of Glamorgan Archives have been retained.
Source of AcquisitionDeposited by incumbent 2016. Register of Banns of Marriages, 1914-1917 transferred from Flintshire Record Office in July 2010.
Finding AidsA detailed catalogue is available online.
Related materialNot applicable
Access statusNo restrictions.
Conditions of accessNo restrictions.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2023