Document referenceP212CW
Level of description Fonds
TitlePorth Ecclesiastical Parish Records
Creator(s)Parish of Llanwonno
Parish of Cymmer and Porth
Parish of Porth
Parish of Porth Newydd
BackgroundBefore 1894 the larger part of the area now known as Porth fell into two parishes. The parish of Llantrisant took in the village of Cymmer and the area on the southern side; the parish of Llanwonno took in the northern side and a small area which fell between the two rivers to the point where they joined together, was in the parish of Ystradyfodwg.

In the mid 19th century, the coal industry was starting to develop and, as the population grew, a need for an Anglican church in the area became evident. In 1857, a National School was opened in Cymmer for the express purpose of teaching the doctrines of the Church of England and the curate of Llantrisant held an Anglican service there once a month. Then in 1887, a church dedicated to St. Paul was built in the Birchgrove area of Porth by EM Bruce Vaughan and, in 1889, the church of St. John the Evangelist was built in Cymmer. Each church was still in their respective parishes of Llanwonno and Llantrisant. However, in 1894, the parish of Cymmer and Porth was established taking in parts of the three original parishes with St. John as the parish church

In 1902, the church of St. Iago was built in Cymmer specifically for services in the Welsh language. In 1907, St. Luke’s iron mission church was built to serve the growing population of the Llwyncelyn area. This was replaced by a permanent building in 1930, built mainly by voluntary labour.

After many years of effort by the officers and members of St. Paul’s Church, the parish boundary was reorganised and the parish of St. Paul’s, Porth was created in March 1920.

The two parishes existed side by side until 2007 when they were brought together to become the Benefice of Porth Newydd. Seven years later both St. Luke’s and St. Paul’s churches were closed (St. Iago having closed in 1958). The Parish of Porth Newydd was formed in March 2014 with Rev. Jeff Thomas as priest in charge and with St. John’s church the only church in the parish.
DescriptionMarriage registers, St Paul, 1888-2007; Minutes, 1890-1988; Financial records, 1887-1955; Registers of Services, 1915-2004; Records relating to the Church building, 1911-1996; St Paul's Church Electoral Roll, c1944; Communicants' Roll, 1896-1898; Donations of clothing to Servicemen, 1941-1942; Orders of Service, St Paul, Porth, 1950-1962; Photographs, 1900s
ArrangementChronological within record series.
Extent42 volumes, 4 bundles, 11 papers, 3 files, 3 photographs, 3 booklets, 1 card
Physical characteristicsFair condition
AppraisalAll records which meet the collection policy of Glamorgan Archives have been retained.
Source of AcquisitionSt Paul marriage registers transferred from the General Registrar to the Superintendent Registrar for Rhondda Cynon Taf following closure of church, 2014, then transferred to Glamorgan Archives. Remainder of collection deposited by the Representative Body of the Church in Wales, August 2019
Finding AidsA detailed catalogue is available
Related materialPorth Newydd Ecclesiastical Parish Records (P256CW) held at Glamorgan Archives
Access statusNo restrictions.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2023