Document referenceDCON
Level of description Fonds
TitleGlamorgan Constabulary, Records
Date1813-1988
Creator(s)Glamorgan Constabulary
BackgroundIn 1836, borough police forces were set up in Cardiff, Neath and Swansea, Glamorgan. Merthyr Borough followed in 1908. For the parts of Glamorgan not covered by the borough forces it was decided, in 1839, that a trial force be set up. This consisted of six officers appointed under one superintendent, and initially covered only Miskin Lower and Caerphilly. Based on its success, the decision was taken in 1841 to establish a new police force to cover the whole of the county, called the Glamorgan Constabulary. The Glamorgan Constabulary was the largest police force in the area, covering the former county of Glamorgan. Initially the force was divided into four districts for administrative purposes; Merthyr, Newbridge, Ogmore and Swansea. In 1911, following a major restructuring, eight police divisions were established, each with its own divisional headquarters:

A Aberdare
B Pontypridd
C Bridgend
D Neath
E Barry Dock
F Treharris
G Ton Pentre
H Gowerton
I Headquarters (originally at Bridgend, at Canton from 1871)

Minor alterations were periodically made to this structure. In particular, the Neath Division was added in 1947, when the Borough police force was disbanded and became part of the Glamorgan Constabulary. From 1946 divisional organisation was

A Aberdare
B Pontypridd
C Bridgend
D Port Talbot
E Barry Dock
F Ystrad Mynach (replaced Treharris as headquarters of F Division in 1927)
G Ton Pentre
H Gowerton
N Neath
K Headquarters (moved from Bridgend to Canton in 1947)

The borough forces and the Glamorgan Constabulary continued side by side until the establishment of the South Wales Police Authority in 1969.

See the attached document for more information on the history of the Constabulary including a list of Chief Constables.
DescriptionGlamorgan Constabulary records pertaining to the recruitment, strength and size of police force, conditions of service, salaries, statistics, official reports, special duties, orders and regulations and uniform and equipment, 1841-1968; records pertaining to the Chief Constables' office, includes diaries and correspondence, 1889-1941; records pertaining to the districts/divisions, sub-divisions, and police stations (including borough police forces), 1840-1968; records pertaining to individual police officers, including notebooks, car logbooks, miscellaneous, scrapbooks, poems and cards etc. [c. 1840]-[c. 1970]; ground plans, sections and elevations relating to various Glamorgan police stations, [c. 1850]-[c. 1950]; general orders and circulars, 1912-1951; and Glamorgan Constabulary headquarters, 1911-1969.
ArrangementArranged according to date and type.
LanguageEnglish
AppraisalAll records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Archives have been retained.
Source of AcquisitionDeposited by the South Wales Police Authority at various dates.
Related materialRelated units of description held at the Glamorgan Archives: DCONC, Cardiff Borough Police Force; DCONMT, Merthyr Tydfil Borough Police; DCONS, Swansea Borough Police Force; DCONN, Neath Borough Police Force; and DCONP Glamorgan Constabulary Plans. There was also a separate Barry Docks police force (not to be confused with the Barry Dock Division of Glamorgan Constabulary). Additional information about the police can be found in the records of the Quarter Sessions, County Council and Borough Councils, because of the involvement of local authorities in the administration of the police force.
Sully Police Station Journal D1524
Conditions of accessAccess to some police records is restricted as many of them contain sensitive information about individuals. It is advisable to contact the Record Office in advance of a visit, to ensure that the records can be made available for consultation in our public searchroom.
Supporting documents

Glamorgan Constabulary, Records

    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021