Document referenceDMS
Level of description Fonds
TitleSully Manor, Records
Date1754-1925
Creator(s)Sir Josiah John Guest
Lord Wimborne
Lieutenant-Commander Charles E. Evans
BackgroundSully manor, Sully, Glamorgan, formed part of the estates of the Stradling family of St Donats Castle, Glamorgan. After the death, in 1738, of Sir Thomas Stradling, the last male heir, the Stradling estates were partitioned by Act of Parliament in 1755, and Sully manor fell to the share of Sir John de la Fountain Tyrwhitt.

The manor was held by the Tyrwhitt Drake family until 1812, when it was sold to Evan Thomas, esq. It was purchased by Sir Josiah John Guest in 1838, whose descendant, Lord Wimborne, sold it to Lieutenant-Commander Charles E. Evans, RNVR, in 1917. The property then formed part of Evans' estate, which in 1956 was established as a letting company (Evans' Estate (1956) Ltd), based in Newton Abbot, Devon.
DescriptionThe original and copy documents which form this collection have been gathered by successive owners of Sully manor to give evidence in disputes and law-suits on the following occasions: rights on the Sheeping Moor, 1842, and boundary of Sully, Cadoxton-juxta-Barry and St Andrews Major parishes, 1842; rights of lord of the manor to the foreshore, 1889; and rights of lord of the manor to the foreshore, 1925.
ArrangementArranged into the following: Original documents to which reference is made in the lawsuits; Disputes concerning rights on the Sheeping Moors; Sully Boundary Award; copy documents, extracts, depositions, correspondence, case and opinions, concerning the right of the Lord of the Manor to the foreshore, a right involved in the dispute between Lord Wimborne and the Barry Dock and Railways Co.; Certified copies from Public Record Office of documents relating to Sully Manor (copied in 1886 and 1925); Lord Wimborne v. the Barry Dock and Railways Co.; copy documents, extracts and correspondence relating to Sully Manor and to the foreshore, evidence compiled by Wade and Son of Newport, solicitors for Commander Charles Evans, 1925. [Numbers, A numbers, and 'Bundle' numbers refer to endorsements on the documents].
LanguageEnglish
Extent4 boxes
Physical characteristicsGood condition
AppraisalAll records have been retained.
Source of AcquisitionDeposited by the Assistant Secretary of Evans' Estate (1956) Ltd. on 25 October 1963.
Finding AidsA handlist is available at the Glamorgan Record Office.
Related materialFurther papers in the Glmorgan Record Office are: DXAO, Letters patent giving Sir Edward Stradling licence to lease the castle and manor of Sully; DCL1/21, 22, Survey of the manor of Sully, 1632 and draft sale catalogue; DTD3, Tyrwhitt Drake collection, rental of lordships and lands, including Sully, 1754; and DXIG, Sale catalogue, 1914.
Conditions of accessNo restrictions
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021