Document referenceDTD
Level of description Fonds
TitleTyrwhitt Drake of St Donats Castle Collection
Datec1260-1972
Creator(s)Tyrwhitt Drake family of St Donats Castle
BackgroundSir Peter de Stratelinges (? 1304), originally from Strattligen, near Thun, Switzerland, reputedly came to England and Wales with Sir Otto de Grandison who was returning from a crusade. Sir Peter married Joan de Hawey, heiress of the St Donat's estate. He also acquired estates in Somerset and Devon. By 1316, the head of the family was Edward Stradlyng, who was knighted in 1327. Edward was one of the chief patrons of Neath Abbey in the 14th century. The estate then descended in the male line; the last Stradling to live at St Donats was Sir Thomas Stradling, who died without issue in 1738. Following lengthy litigation, the estates were divided into three parts. The St Donats portion went to the Tyrwhitt family, by virtue of a deed made between Sir Thomas and Sir John de la Fountain Tyrwhitt whilst travelling abroad. The estate subsequently passed to the Drake family, and then by purchase to the Nicholl-Carne family.
DescriptionPapers relating to Neath Abbey, [c. 1260], 1343; deeds of the St Donats estate, 1378 and 1657-1845; and papers relating to the Stradling family, 1439-1442, 1641-1649, and [c. 1750].
ArrangementArranged chronologically into: Neath Abbey, St Donats estate, and Stradling family.
LanguageEnglish
Latin
Extent76 papers, 30 bundles, 11 parchments, 1 file, 1 booklet
AppraisalAll records deposited at Glamorgan Archives have been retained.
Finding AidsHandlists are available at Glamorgan Record Office and the National Register of Archives.
Related materialFurther papers relating to the St Donat's estate are Glamorgan Archives, DX 927.
Conditions of accessNo restrictions
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021